Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Why "Wait" is a Battle Position

How do I stand and run at the same time I asked God yesterday? Can I do both? In physiological terms that is impossible. You can't run and stand still simultaneously, yet that is what God has been showing me He calls us to do. I'm not sure which one He taught me to do first, but I think it was the running. Hebrews 12:1 says we are to run after holiness and righteousness and throw off sin as it tangles us up in our pursuit of godliness and wholeness and perfection.

It all started about 4 years ago. One of my children was suffering from significant depression at a very young age. It made no sense to me. Why? They were loved, cherished, adored, well provided for in terms of material needs. So I started searching the scriptures and found this verse.

Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” 

The part that really stood out to me was the last bit “against such things there is no law”. I understand laws to some extent. I did physics at school. There is the law of gravity for one. But what did it mean? I kept praying about this and soon after I heard a Preacher explain it like this. “What overcomes the law of gravity? The law of aerodynamics. While that law is working well, the law of gravity is no longer an issue”. And it all began to make sense to me. You see, I had been looking around at my situation and saying what will overcome the laws of this world, where depression and anxiety and pain reign? It is the law of the Spirit! There is nothing that can supersede this law. Nothing can overcome it!

So I started praying for my child in this manner. Saying

 “your word says my child can have peace and joy and that there is no law against this and on this basis I ask”.

Each day as the situation would arise, I would pray and ask. Scripture says, “ask and keep on asking and it will be given to you” and so I kept asking. And I began to see a change. Some days there would be an instant, miraculous change and I would see the “switch” as I prayed. Other times I would pray and it would seem as if nothing was changing – for weeks! And in my frustration I would scream

Why?!! 
Why is nothing changing now? 
Why are you taking so long to answer my prayer when my child is in need? 
Don't you hear me? 
Don't you see my pain? 
Your word promises this and yet I'm not seeing it? 
Why? 
You are not a liar!

It was then that He taught me about the stand. It was ironic. I had just been ranting and raving to God in my frustration and I opened the scriptures for my daily reading and read this in

  Isaiah 40:27 “Why do you say, O Jacob and complain, O Israel, 'My way is hidden from the Lord; my cause is disregarded by my God'?” 

and I was immediately aware of my sin – my accusation was one of deafness and callousness. God help me see the truth behind what is going on. Do I need to learn something here? And He led me to


Philippians 4:11-13. “ I have leaned to be content, whatever the circumstances...I have learned the secret of being content in and and every situation....” 

I knew I was not content, but I didn't understand. What I was asking for was in line with His word. Why did I need to learn about contentment? Did I need to learn contentment with depression? That made no sense! And so I kept praying. Do you know how many times the word wait is in scripture? It is a LOT! Seriously. It appeared that God had enrolled me in Waiting 101. Every single time I opened my bible for weeks, the word wait would leap out at me. Pretty funny really as I look back.

Why are we told to wait so often in the bible? It must be important. So I kept praying. Praying for my child's depression, praying for contentment and praying for patience with my God. Psalm 37: 7-9 talks about waiting and patience going together and for me I discovered that I had become impatient with my Heavenly Father.

I had wanted the healing to always be instant.
I had wanted Him to be like my magic wand.
I had wanted the rescue to be in my timing, because I deemed it urgent.

And so I submitted. 


“your will, your way....you have full authority”

I learned that patience is waiting with contentment when you really, really want something to happen.
I learned to submit to His speed of refinement in my life and in my child's life.
I learned that when I have no patience I put myself “under the law” and increase the power of sin.
I learned to give thanks for the timing.
I learned that waiting is intrinsic to faith.

See, I had assumed wait was synonymous with giving up or no. Instead I learned it was more synonymous with stand a battle position referred to in Ephesians 6:13,14. It had never occurred to me before, that to wait was a battle position – a declaration of my 100% confidence in my God to provide and to be true to His promises 100% of the time, even if it takes longer than my life span (Hebrews 11:13, 35-40).

So I have come to the belief that it is possible to run and stand simultaneously – because they are essentially the same thing. For as I passionately run towards God and His righteousness, I do so by standing on His promises and His word, each and everyone of them, each and every moment of the day. I ask for ALL that He has promised and declared for me and my family. I rest in His desire to provide. For when I do this, I keep instep with His Spirit. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.