Because of my journey in healing my body naturally of a multitude of diseases, allergies and food intolerances caused by a leaky gut, I am often asked questions about food, nutrition and maintaining general good health. This post is what I have learned so far on my journey and what I have found to help. I am now able to eat foods that I have been intolerant to all my life without symptoms. I have not finished this journey yet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a 'leaky gut'?
Image by Staystock.com
What are the signs and symptoms of a leaky gut?
- autism / ASD
- dyspraxia (extreme clumbsiness)
- learning problems
- behavioural problems
- mental health disorders (anxiety, schizophrenia/ OCD/bipolar etc)
- digestive problems (coeliac, colic, IBS, bloating, flatulence, reflux, diarrrhoea, constipation, feeding difficulties, weight issues and malnourishment)
- eating disorders
- autoimmune diseases (multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes type one, celiac disease, osteoarthritis, lupus, hashimoto disease etc)
How did I get a leaky gut?The gut wall becomes damaged when the healthy gut flora is damaged.”A human baby is born with a sterile gut and acquires most of its gut flora from the mother. So if the mother has abnormal gut flora, that is what she will pass to her child, predisposing this child to eczema, asthma and other allergies and in severe cases learning disabilities.” (p36)
What damages a gut wall and the healthy gut flora?
- antifungal antibiotics
- long term use of drugs (pain killers, aspirin, ibuprofen, antihistamines,
Image by Staystock.com
- contraceptive pill “This group of drugs has a devastating effect on the gut flora”. (p36)
- diet “Too many sugary foods and processed carbohydrates increase the number of different fungi, candida species in particular..... Processed and sugary carbohydrates (white bread, cakes, biscuits, pastries and pasta) also promote population of the gut with worms and other parasites.” (p37)
- bottle feeding
- prolonged fasting, starvation and overeating
- old age
- pollution, environmental toxins, pesticides, radiation etc
How do I heal a leaky gut?To put it simply a leaky gut is healed by restoring the healthy, benficial gut flora and destroying and detoxing the unhealthy gut flora, parasites, diseases and toxins. This is a process. It will not happen over night. It involves organic bone broths, organic foods, fermented foods and a strict adherance to the process outlined by Doctors and Nutritionists who are well qualified in this area. It takes time but the rewards are huge.
What will happen if I don't heal a leaky gut?A gut lining or wall that is not repaired will continue to deteriorate and may easily lead to premature death.
Is This expensive?Bone broths and fermented foods are inexpensive to prepare and provide a LOT of nutrition for each serving compared to a traditional processed diet. They also store well for long periods. Growing vegetables can lesson the expense as can buying bulk and joining a co-op of others on the same journey. What is expensive is long-term pharmaceutical use, chemotherapy, sickness and an early death.
Is there support for me in this process?There are many families who are healing their bodies in this way. It was through meeting a mother who had healed her son of ASD that I began this journey. Here is a link to support that will help you if you wish to begin this journey.
For more information on what we specifically do, read here.
Reference: Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride MD, MmedSci (neurology), MmedSci(nutrition). “Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural treatment for autism, dyspraxia, ADD, dyslexia, ADHD, depression, schizophrenia” 2010 Mediform Publishing