Saturday, 26 July 2014

Forgiveness

We are all broken
There was a time when I thought I wasn’t
Ha!

I learned that lesson the hard way.
Take it from me.
We are all broken.

If you think you’re not
Ask someone your faults.
Then listen really hard.

I asked Jesus to show me mine.
Back when I thought I wasn’t broken.
He was quite forthcoming.

I had to ask Him to stop.
Stop showing me my brokenness.
It was all too much.

But He didn’t stop.
He continued.
Why?

Because He loves me.
And He has a solution.
I don’t need to be overwhelmed.

I only need Him to heal me.

You see, when I saw my failings, my brokenness, my inadequacies, my guilt, my mistakes it was then that that I realised I needed Jesus. I needed His perfection in place of my brokenness. His offer to substitute His own perfection in place of my own brokenness and guilt. His offer to pay a debt that I could not pay. The debt I had accrued from years of mistakes, failings, stupidity, foolishness and sin. The debt that led to eternal punishment in hell. For justice always requires a payment. 

Why? 
Why would He do that?
How did He do that?

Because he loves me
Because I was already condemned.
By offering to take my punishment on Himself - a punishment which, as a perfect and sinless God in the flesh, He did not deserve.

That’s what Jesus was doing on the cross.
Dying.
Paying my debt.
Paying yours.

Offering us forgiveness
A restoration of our relationship with God
A gift sealed with His resurrection from the dead.

Now when I am shown my brokenness, my response is different. Instead of falling apart, horrified at yet another mistake I have made, wallowing in despair at the damage I have caused, I in-turn am driven to see the depths and the heights of grace that Jesus has blessed me with, in offering to forgive my stupidity. 

Why would He constantly do that?
For His love for me is so deep and so high, He is willing to forgive over and over and over and over and over.
Even the repetitive sins.
I need only confess and speak out my sins to Him and ask for His forgiveness.

This is Jesus
That is love.
His forgiveness is available for all.

I am to do likewise.
Forgive those who ask me for my forgiveness.
Though they wrong me over and over and over.
Though it be repetitive,
I am to follow His example.
To offer them grace.
For I was offered a greater grace.

“Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, ‘Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?’ 
Jesus answered. ‘I tell you, not seven times but seventy times seven’.” Matthew 18:21-35

“If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”
“ I write this to you so that you will not sin. but if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense - Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.” 
1 John 1:8-2:2




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.