Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Too Many Wolves

In my early twenties, whilst at university, I went to India on a short-term mission with a ‘Christian’ group from the University. Our goal was to speak to Muslim Indians about Jesus

We were zealous. 
We were keen.
We were enthusiastic.

But instead what actually transpired was idolatry.

How so?
Let me explain.

In our pre-trip training, our team was repeatedly told by our team leaders that

 ‘Muslims worship the same God as Christians. They just don’t believe in Jesus.’ 

I believed them; hook, line and sinker.

We were taught to pray Islamic prayers.
We were taught to admire the Muslim call to prayer.
We were taught to follow Islamic worship customs.

We were told we were still worshiping Jesus.

I am still appalled at what went on back then. Dressing like muslims, calling ourselves  muslims, eating like muslims...some members of the team praying daily at the mosques.

At times, muslim Indians inquired

‘Are you Christians?’ 
‘No!’ We said - for we were told by our leaders that to say 'yes' would ruin our hopes  of converting them to Christianity. We were very, very wrong.


Why do I tell you all this?

So that you learn from my mistakes!!

I repented of this idolatry over 20 years ago now, in anguish and with many tears. Begging Jesus for his forgiveness. Accepting his grace and forgiveness. But I write of it now for I see many Australians who call themselves Christians making the same mistakes I did, only they’re doing it here in Australia.

They too are being deceived. 
There are too many wolves teaching the sheep.


Here are some common idolatrous deceptions I have seen floating about recently.

Deception 1
‘Allah and Yahweh are one and the same God.’

This is false. Christians worship Yahweh/Jehovah/Adonai who is Father, Son (Jesus) and Holy Spirit. There is no other God. Muslims do not accept the trinity or worship Yahweh.

“Before me no god was formed, 
nor will there be one after me. 
I, even I, am the Lord,
 and apart from me there is no savior. 
 I have revealed and saved and proclaimed - 
I and not some foreign god among you. 
You are my witnesses” declared the Lord 
“that I am God.” 
Isaiah 43:10 - 12


Deception 2
‘Jesus is only a prophet not the Son of God’

This is false. Christians know and believe that Jesus is God, that he died and rose again to attain forgiveness for our sins. If we deny this, we are not saved and cannot be called Christians. Muslims do not believe that Jesus is God, or that he rose from the dead.

“That if you confess with your mouth ’Jesus is Lord’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.” Rom 10:9,10

“Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.” 1 John 4:1-3

"Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son. Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father; the one who confesses the Son has the Father also. " I John 2:23,24

Deception 3
‘It doesn’t matter if I act like a Muslim on the outside, God knows my heart. I’m just trying to make them feel loved.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2770225/I-stand-Always-forever-Love-fear-The-Christian-woman-wore-hijab-week-solidarity-Muslim-friends-tells-heartwarming-awkward-experiences.html

This is false. Christians are to be known by their fruit and Christ like character. Imitating another false religion, of demonic origin, does not achieve this.

“If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him, when he comes in glory with the holy angels.” 
Mark 8:38

Deception 4
‘We can have inter-faith services and inter-faith harmony and God’s okay with it.’

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-26/interfaith-service-at-kuraby-mosque-christians-muslims/5771034



This is false. Christians are to worship God and serve him only. We are repeatedly told to  avoid all idolatry, to destroy idolatry, to cast out demons and set the captives free! - Not to join in with them.

“You shall have no other gods before me.” Ex 20:3

“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.” Deut 6:4-5

“Cut down the idols of their gods and wipe out their names from those places. You must not worship the Lord your God in their way.” Deut 12:3,4

“Do not make a covenant with them or their gods. Do not let them live in your land, or they will cause you to sin against me, because the worship of their gods will certainly be a snare to you.” Ex 23:32,33


If you are wondering what a godly response looks like under the pressure of inter-faith services and harmony, have a look at these three responses.




A Call to Prayer:

Jesus we ask you, by the power of the Holy Spirit, which raised Christ from the dead,  to tear down all that you have declared devoted for destruction, and to destroy the strongholds, the idolatry and witchcraft in this nation and throughout all creation.

May Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven! 

Deliver us from evil. 
Forgive our rebellion against you. 
May Your name alone be praised in all the earth.


Jesus, the Lord, says:

All men will hate you because of me but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. 

Do not be afraid of them.

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.

Do not suppose I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.


Matthew 10:22, 26, 28, 32-34, 37

Will you join with me in prayer?





1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.