Wednesday, 23 December 2015

The Holiday Heart

Where is your heart leading you? 
What do you value in your heart?

What we physically do and say and think is all a result of what is in our heart. As humans...if we don't want to do something in our hearts....we can always find an excuse not to do it. We can always justify it. We're very good at it. 

We don't look after our health because....
We don't care for the elderly because....
We don't give to the poor because....
We don't dress modestly because....
We don't care for the widows because...
We don't work hard because....
We don't spend time daily in God's word because...
We don't take time to pray because....

Now on the other hand....when we are motivated to do something.... its a whole different story. You can't hold us back. It's a joy. It's a pleasure. It doesn't even FEEL like work. It feels like, dare I say it, a holiday!

Why?
Because it's a joy to us, not a burden.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:29

Life feels tiring and weary and burdensome when we don’t have a ‘holiday heart’.
Image by Staystock.com
When what is good and perfect and pleasing to God has become a chore. When we are overwhelmed by ‘all the good we are supposed to be doing’. When all that is good has become an ‘ought’.

Our burdens of ‘doing good’ weigh us down until we cry hungrily, like a sinking man, in desperation

Change my heart, oh God!
Give me a holiday heart!


The Bible says that when we value what God values...when we are motivated by the same things that motivate Him..... when we obey with all our heart and not just our minds.....we become....

"a man after God's own heart."

But this holiday heart.... how do we get it?

We simply, sincerely ask. That’s what repentance is. Asking for Yahweh to change our hearts. To align them with His.

“This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.” Hebrews 10:16

Yahweh offers to change our hearts so that we YEARN to obey his Word.  We YEARN to be aligned with Him. We YEARN to serve him.

That is a holiday heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.