Friday, 12 February 2016

My "Coming Out" Story

A few years back the Lord God, quietly convicted me of being a ‘closet Christian’.
I needed to come out. 



"Your faith is invisible."

He had me.
I had no defense.

At that time, if you looked at my life, my spending habits, my bookshelves, my diet, my CD and DVD collections, my wall hangings, my TV habits,  my clothes, my hair, my passions....my whole lifestyle...

It spoke volumes.
But it didn’t speak of a life devoted to the worship of Jesus.

At that time, I thought...if I were to be put on trial in a court of law to prove my faith... I don’t think there would actually be enough evidence to convince any jury that I was a Christian - a worshiper of Jesus the Christ.


"Your faith is invisible."


Oh,  I said I was Christian when asked.
Oh, I owned a Bible
Oh, I went to church every Sunday

Nonetheless...


"Your faith is invisible."


But then again is an invisible faith really a faith at all?

What if an invisible faith is not only invisible to the people around me...
What if it is also invisible to God himself?

Is there such a thing as a ‘closet Christian’?

The more I read my bible....I don’t think so.

Jesus said...


“By their fruit you will recognize them.” Matt 7:16

What is the fruit of a follower of Jesus?


“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” Gal 5:22

“In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.” James 2:17,18
“Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” John 14:21
“Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.” John 14:23

“In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome.” 1 John 5:3
“And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.” 2 John 1:6

And finally it clicked...

Faith must be visible. ‘The proof is in the pudding’ to quote a saying. My faith is shown by my obedience to God’s commands.

So I read His commands. I started at the beginning of the Bible and I read it right through. Each day I asked Him to help me understand. Help me obey.

My life was radically changed for the better!

I learned what God loves. 
I learned what He desires.
I learned what love is and what it meant to love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.
I learned to love His law and His commandments. 
I began to see them as wisdom.

Gradually I made changes in my life.

I replaced my whole lifestyle...my spending habits, my bookshelves, my diet, my CD and DVD collections, my TV habits, my wall hangings, my clothes, my hair, my passions....with ones that brought glory to God and were based in righteousness.

I am still going. Still learning. Still changing.

Grateful for His patience with me, as I learn to love and obey the Living God who loved me and gave himself up for me, that I might know Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.