Are the waters ahead roaring and foaming?
Is every fibre of your being screaming danger?
Are fear and anxiety trying to gain a foothold?
Do you know the LORD God as your refuge?
Have you fed on his wisdom for dangerous waters?
Look for the Warning Lighthouse.
God warns the righteous of upcoming trouble so that they can take refuge and remain safe. There are some waters, that the LORD God does not intend for us to go through. They are simply not safe. He always sends a warning. He always provides a lighthouse. Keep watch for the warning lighthouse.
Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared. Prov 3:25, 26.
Do not envy a violent man or choose any of his ways, for the LORD detests a perverse man but takes the upright into his confidence. Prov 3:31,32.
Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for the gracious and compassionate and righteous man. Ps 112:4Examples in Scripture:
- Joseph was warned in dreams to flee from approaching danger. "When they had gone, an angel of the LORD appeared to Joseph in a dream. 'Get up', he said, 'take the child [Jesus] and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.' So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, where he stayed until the death of Herod. "Matt 2:13-15. "Having been warned in a dream, he withdrew to the district of Galilee." Matt 2:22
- The Magi were warned in a dream of Herod's evil intention. "And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route." Matt 2:12
- Pilate's wife was warned to have nothing to do with Jesus' crucifixion. "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him." Matt 27:19
Take Refuge. Avoid Dangerous Waters.
When you see the warning lighthouse, take refuge. Don't be a fool and keep sailing into dangerous territory.
The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it. Prov 27:12
A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it. Prov 22:3
When the righteous triumph, there is great elation; but when the wicked rise to power, men go into hiding. Prov 28:12
When the wicked rise to power, people go into hiding; but when the wicked perish, the righteous thrive. Prov 28:28
Examples in Scripture:
- In 1 Kings 18:13 we read of Obadiah hiding the LORD's prophets from the wicked King Ahab who was actively seeking to kill them. According to the NIV text notes on this passage - "Communities of prophets had sprung up in Israel during a time of apostasy." The text note later says that these "companies of prophets were apparently religious communities that sprang up in the face of general indifference and apostasy for the purpose of mutual edification and the cultivation of the experience of God."
- In Exodus 1 and 2, we read of the midwives helping the Israelite women to hide and protect their children from the wicked rulers. "The midwives however feared God and did not do what the king of Egypt had told them to do; they let the boys live." Ex 1:17 The Bible records that the LORD God blessed the midwives for their actions of valour and righteousness.
- Joash, a child who was heir to the throne, was hidden for 6 years from a wicked queen who was intent on murdering all in the royal line (2 Chron 22:11).
- "By faith, Moses parents hid him for 3 months after he was born because they saw he was no ordinary child and they were not afraid of the King's edict." Heb 11:23
Enjoy Safe Haven
The LORD rewards the righteous who heed his wisdom to take refuge with a safe haven. In safety he enables them to flourish and thrive.
My son, preserve sound judgement, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; when you lie down, you will not be afraid, when you lie down, your sleep shall be sweet. Prov 3:21-24
But whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm. Prov 1:33
The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever. My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest. Isaiah 33:17,18
Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in his commands. His children will be mighty in the land, the generation of the upright will be blessed. Wealth and riches are in his house and his righteousness endures forever.....He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD. His heart is secure, he will have no fear, in the end he will look in triumph on his foes. Psalm 112.Have you found your safe haven? Have you let the LORD gently lead you to safety?
Take my advice, do not let fear paralyse you and keep you from taking refuge when dangerous waters approach. Learn that the LORD God, the lover of your soul, wants his children to be safe. Keep watch for the warnings and trust your Heavenly Father to keep you safe.